Thursday, August 22, 2013

Starting the School Year

When I moved to my little house several years ago, its most important selling point was that I could walk to school. Well, that and the big yard for a garden. The walk to school and the garden are both just as important to me now. My walk in the morning is always a time to get my body moving, my thoughts percolating, to feel the wind and look at the sky. Right now I am walking into the sunrise. Kind of wonderful. My goal in this blog is to post a picture daily and record my thoughts during the walk. Because today is actually the fourth day, I will review my weeks thoughts.
August 19: WooHoo! I will meet my seventh graders today. It is fun to enjoy a day without the eighth graders. So nervous that I will never learn their names. I'll have so many since I will be teaching 3 sections of grade level Reading - almost 30 students each and 1 section of Read 180 with 21 students. But the sun is coming up, I'm enjoying the cool morning, and I feel like running.
August 20: I'm am so excited to move on with my seventh graders. They are so excited, eager, and ready to show what they know. My lesson yesterday was pretty much throwing out an idea and stepping out of the way. Several remembered I was the one in the Carnation Festival Parade with the cute dog - Gotta love that Coco! I will be meeting the few 8th graders in my Read180 class today. Can I rise to that challenge? Yes. I can!
August 21: My birthday...Maybe the air conditioning will be fixed. It was record breaking heat yesterday and 180 kids had to test in the HOT computer room. Fingers crossed.
August 22: The air conditioning was fixed yesterday!! Today I will review the Dress Code with students. It seemed cruel to do it before the rooms were cooled off. Nasty to say "No shorts shorter than knees and no tank tops" when I was actually - really- wiping dripping sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment